I'm just going to be honest. I've been slacking. My alone time with the big guy upstairs has REALLY fallen off. This means that i'm struggling to hear from God, I'm not getting clear direction and instruction and so i'm just not where I should be. I need an accountability partner... or two.. so I'm choosing YOU! Yes, you... if you are reading this, YOU have been chosen to help me get back on track. So I'm going to spend more time in the book of Jesus and OUT of my phone! When I get my word, I'm going to share what I learned with you and hopefully you will talk back to me.
Ok. Here we go. Day 1 of Stephanie's personal bible study!
Let's take a look at Romans 12:2
2 Do not be conformed to this world
3 but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Ok, I get it... Don’t be like the world be like God.
Less of the world and more of him.
Now let me read it from my favorite version of the bible...The Message!
Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.
Ok now here's my take on all of it:
1. Don’t be so well adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without thinking.
Some things come naturally to us and some things we have to work for. It's so much easier for us to sing a song from the radio and dance than it is for us to pray. Praying is not as much of a reflex as that soft cuss I almost said when someone cut me off the other day. And how often do I pray? Not nearly as much as I should. I spend money on food and clothes like water but have to remind myself to pay my tithes and offering at church. I believe that God is telling us to "Beware of complacency", don't get too comfortable. So tell me, how adjusted to your culture are you?
2. Instead fix your attention on God. Wake up! Get out of your fog! Realize the big guy upstairs is poking you and open your ears to what he is trying to say. Just by opening your eyes and ears to the things of God, you will start to genuinely change. You are what you focus on and think about. Let's let that sink in… what is the main thing you focus on? Is that really what you want your life to reflect? What would happen if you focused more of your attention and thoughts on God? What if you focused on the good and positive things, your goals and dreams?
3. Readily Recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. What is your purpose? Instead of being the biggest player or the social butterfly, what is your REAL god given purpose on this earth? The only way to know is to hear it from straight from the source. Some of us have heard it many times and are refusing to move or are waiting. For what? Him to change his mind. I know I was. I had a friend who was waiting to be a little older. This verse is telling us to QUICKLY respond. So, what are you waiting for?
4. Unlike the culture around you bringing you down to its level of immaturity.
Ever found that when you’re in the world you do stupid stuff even though you don’t want to? You know you should be on a higher level yet you still cuss that person out for cutting you in line and you still lurk on your ex’s page on instagram *side eye*. You know it's Immature but you cant help yourself, because you are a product of your environment and unfortunately you just go wherever it leads you. Has your culture brought you down to its level of maturity?
5. God brings out the best in you! CHANGE! It's an awesome thing. TRANSFORMATION is even better! Don’t let the world determine your future when the world doesn’t even know you like that. I’ve never heard a horror story about following God. Nowhere does it say be boring, become a pastor or join a nunnery. But it does say to look to God, trust him and let him grow you! All he wants to do is allow you to be the best you that you can be! What's one way you can change before the month is over?
Talk to me, was this helpful for you?